Hey everyone! This is my first blog post here at Neonpossum.com! As you probably already know from my domain name, my online handle and artist name is Neonpossum! I’ve been working in the furry fandom selling artwork for over 15 years and have learned a lot throughout the years. This blog aims to be a reflection of my learning, as well as updates on my own progress as an artist.
Some topics I aim to cover here:
Business advice: Not just for full-time artists, I aim to offer sensible and easy to understand advice to anyone working within a fandom, whether it’s the furry fandom, anime fandom or something else. Being a fandom artist is very much a separate gig from being a freelance illustrator or graphic designer, and so we have our own issues we need to consider. Throughout this blog I want to cover:
- How to price your artwork
- How to market yourself and to advertise effectively
- How to manage your time and schedule work
- How active should you be on social media? What platforms should you use?
- Building a terms of service
- How and where to sell your artwork online
- How to keep records and do book keeping
- How to write a business plan
- Selling at conventions
- Creating prints and other merchandise
- Creating your own website
- And more!
Art Tips: I’ve learned so much being a self-taught artist that I feel art tips is also something I should offer! These will include:
- Tips on photo-referencing
- A ‘how to draw’ animal series
- SAI and photoshop tutorials
- The difference between species (e.g. Wolves vs Coyotes vs Foxes)
- Tips on drawing adult artwork
- Designing characters and fursonas
There will also be one-off posts which will include interviews with artists, art product reviews, artist features, convention reports and more!
I hope that you enjoy reading my blog! I aim to keep it updated twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so please bookmark it if you want! I’ll also be creating a patreon, newsletter and YouTube in the near future to share the knowledge and spread the love!
Thanks for reading!